Total Approved Investments

For the Year 2020

Malaysia recorded a total of RM164 billion in approved investments through 4,599 projects in the manufacturing, services and primary sectors in 2020. These investments are expected to create 114,673 new jobs in various sectors of the economy once implemented. 

In contrast, a total of 5,287 projects with investments of RM211.4 billion were approved in 2019. This decline was weighed by the services and primary sectors which were directly impacted by declines in global demands due to the pandemic and the Movement Control Order (MCO) implementation. 

In 2020, domestic direct investments (DDI) accounted for the bulk of the total approved investments with a contribution of 60.9 per cent (RM99.8 billion), while foreign direct investments (FDI) made up the remaining RM64.2 billion (39.1%). 

The manufacturing sector led the way for total investments approved in 2020, recording RM91.3 billion, followed by the services sector RM66.7 billion and the primary sector with RM6.0 billion. 

Selangor (RM38.7b) recorded the highest investments approved last year, followed by Sabah (RM21.0b), Sarawak (RM19.6b), Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur (RM17.1b) and Pulau Pinang (RM16.0b). These five states alone contributed more than 60 per cent of the total approved investments for 2020.

More from DID YOU KNOW?

National Policy on Industry 4.0

January 2021

Highest Growth Since March 2020